Reply To: Food Storage..

• MartHale7

March 22, 2024 at 5:29 am

I went with powdered milk I love the butter milk from Azure I bought an on clearance 50 lb butter milk a few years ago and vacuum sealed it. The price of dehydrated milk is so high I was wondering if buying hay and a cow would be cheaper…… Ode to inflation…

I have been thinking that if I am to survive on my food stocks that vacuum sealed whole grains is the best backup. which I have been doing with 1 gal food saver bags. Expensive, but it kills all of the bugs, and I did it back in 2020 when prices were better….. Oats is still cheap and I would say they still are now, I have stopped putting ground flour in 5 gal buckets and switched to 1/2 gal mason jars, more expensive than 5 gal buckets, but I feel better about that storage method.

My strategy is to have 2 -5 years of grain backup. Then fill my empty jars with cabbage ferment since I now grow my cabbage with kratky hydroponics in jugs….. Slowly every so slowly I have been able to start replacing meals to 1/2 of a meal with the fermented cabbage because it is so easy to grow, cut up ferment, then grab and eat.

This has been easy for me because I am single, but I can now understand as a family how this would be more of a challenge.