Reply To: gosh darn it

• Redcap

March 10, 2023 at 4:29 am

I’ve been darning socks, sweaters, bedsheets, tablecloths and more since my grandmother showed me how in the 1960s. You don’t need anything fancy, but I do like either an orange or a wooden darning egg rather than a lightbulb because I’m just more likely to break the lightbulb and have glass everywhere. I do use a thread that matches the sock, so cotton thread (flower thread or a heavier quilting thread or maybe even a button thread) for cotton socks and wool darning yarn or I might pull apart a crewel yarn the way you separate embroidery threads to get one or two threads for darning wool socks and sweaters. I find if you darn it nice and tight you’re less likely to wear out that spot again.

There are several ways to darn a knitted item. I’ve been planning to upload a photo series showing how to darn on my old blog but hadn’t had time. We just started spring break (I sub at the local schools) so I’m hoping I can get that up there and then you’re free to check it out. I’ll post here if I get it up this week. Meantime, there’s Heidi’s video and a lot of good internet instruction out there. Or best of all, find a grandma who can teach you. 🙂