Reply To: Seasonal meals

• Grampa-J

March 19, 2023 at 4:20 pm

If you have freezer space and more tomato’s than you know what to do with, wash them and pop them into the freezer in bags. I ran an experiment and put 20lbs in plastic grocery bags in the freezer for about a year and a half. It did not pick up any freezer taste. When starting to thaw the skins come off easier than blanching. The issue for me was that about 1/2 way through they started thawing too much to core. I just tugged on the stem end and snipped with scissors. Processed half peeling and the other half without peeling. The batch without peeling I ran through the blender. We have a ninja. It was not strong enough to pulverize the seeds but took care of most of the peels. Ran through a sauce master from there to remove the seeds and unprocessed peels. I usually make a neutral sauce that can be flexible to convert to pasta sauce, ketchup, etc. later. The sauce with the ground peels had better flavor and was a little thicker sooner. If you do your primary cookdown in something like a Nesco roaster you will not have to babysit as much and will buy you time to do other things while making the sauce. Freezing will let you kick the can down the road a bit and plan processing when the weather is bad or time will free up later. Sorry for the dissertation. Working on developing processes, etc. for busy homesteaders.